Xtravirt’s comprehensive assessment guides decision making for future of customer’s existing estate
Established for over 170 years, this UK leader in wealth management has focussed on ensuring prosperity for their customers for many years. A passion for serving the needs of their customers and enabling growth has remained at the forefront of their focus throughout the years, adhering to their ultimate business values.
Due to higher than forecast expenditure on their existing infrastructure, the customer wanted to explore the possibility of moving their virtual estate onto an alternative platform, as well as the likely advantages and disadvantages of a migration.
As an alternate option, the customer was also keen to understand improvements that could be made to their existing estate to aid minimal disruption to everyday business. The customer had also been considering a future move to a software defined data centre model, and so it was important for them to assess the capabilities of their existing platform compared with an alternative option.
Xtravirt were engaged for their advisory expertise to help the customer assess and explore the possible options. To identify the capabilities and attributes of the customers’ existing estate, Xtravirt explored the following: current underlying infrastructure; customer’s support capabilities and vendor relationships; software layer from the existing hypervisor, as well as future plans and intentions.
Through analysis of the existing environment, and as the customer was already using Microsoft® products heavily across the estate, Microsoft Hyper-V was identified as a potential alternative virtualisation technology.
The focus of the project was to provide the customer with strategic guidance with Xtravirt’s advisory services. This resulted in the successful delivery of a comprehensive assessment and roadmap, outlining the findings of the customer’s current environment. The report included:
- A migration readiness assessment to Microsoft Hyper-V
- Issues that could be encountered in either an upgrade to VMware vSphere 6.5 or migration to Microsoft Hyper-V 2016
- Advantages and disadvantages of an upgrade vs a migration
Xtravirt’s detailed report and advisory services provided the customer with the information and support needed to make an informed decision regarding the future of their existing estate.
At a glance
- Reduce expenditure of existing infrastructure
- Explore alternative platform for the migration of existing virtual estate
- Assess capabilities, advantages and disadvantages of a virtual estate migration
- Evaluate the proficiencies of future movement to a software defined data centre model
- Exploration into current infrastructure, existing hypervisor, future plans and intentions
- Analysis of discussions with customer, combined with raw information acquired onsite to help identify potential solution
- Microsoft Hyper-V identified as potential alternative virtualisation technology
- Migration readiness assessment to Microsoft Hyper-V
- Identification of possible issues that could be encountered with either an upgrade to VMware vSphere 6.5 or migration to Microsoft Hyper-V 2016, as well as advantages and disadvantages of both