Tailor-made automation solution achieves efficiencies, time savings and reduced risk
This award-winning organisation is one of the most innovative architecture design and engineering practices in the world. Over the past 4 decades the business has established a worldwide reputation for its modern and sustainable approach to architecture.
The size and growth of the customer’s business means they have a high volume of change in their project teams and staff members, all of whom need on-boarding and off-boarding in various IT systems as design projects start and end.
This was a complex and manual time-consuming process consisting of over ten individual processes, including:
- Set up of user accounts and passwords
- Assigning and configuring mail
- Adding of users to security groups
- Synchronization of users to Azure and Office365
- Migration of mailboxes to Office365
The current process was prone to errors and gaps in configuration, leading to inefficiencies and multiple handling of data.
The customer identified a strategic opportunity to use automation to simplify and accelerate a number of manual tasks in the business. They also saw this as an opportunity to move away from manual data management and in to a more integrated and centralised data warehouse for governance and security purposes.
Working with the customer, Xtravirt led Automation Acceleration workshops to gain an understanding of the key business requirements, the current manual processes and the platform.
Initial designs were created and presented, and runbooks (workflows) developed to automate the processes for creating new users (on-boarding) and removing users (offboarding).
The creation of additional runbooks with integration to the centralised data warehouse allowed for automatic collection of starter and leaver tasks.
Increased productivity – an automated end-to-end solution has increased the efficiency and accuracy of the on and off boarding process freeing up significant additional time for other key business activity.
Increased compliance – centralised data storage, access control and management has ensured stronger GDPR compliance and data management practices.
Reduced risk – automated processes have reduced the level of human error across the whole process and ensured that all steps in the processes are completed for all users within a managed workflow.
Time savings – the customer has demonstrated a time saving of 35% to on-board and off-board users.
At a glance
- The customer has a high number of project teams and staff members requiring on and off boarding from IT systems
- On and off boarding team members was a complex, manual, time consuming process
- Data access and management systems were disparate
- Requirements gathering through workshops to understand the key business drivers and processes
- Design and production of Runbooks using Microsoft System Center Orchestrator (SCORCH) to automate processes for on and off boarding team members
- Creation of centralised data storage warehouse
- Development of custom PowerShell scripts to support a number of system integrations
- Testing and demonstration of the solution to the customer
- Automated system for on and off boarding staff members
- Reduction in time taken to on and off board project teams
- Reduced risk through automated processes
- Improved data storage, access and management
- Improved productivity