Xtravirt’s roadmap definition and strategy design forms the basis for an upgrade supporting 4,500 users
For over 40 years, this international investment firm has been one of the world’s leading providers of financial services to institutional investors.
Xtravirt were engaged to assess the customers’ existing environment, and provide a view on how this could be transformed into a scalable platform to support a fast-growing business. Xtravirt’s consultative methodology and business consulting were used to define a roadmap and strategy that would enable the design and deployment of a virtualised workspace platform for a single business unit.
The new platform was built and deployed within the target 6-month timeframe, successfully migrating the customer’s 500 pilot users. The platform enabled flexible working policies and the consolidation of physical office space. To achieve a centralised and consolidated virtual desktop platform, the customer’s ageing Windows XP estate was upgraded. The deployment of upgraded software ensured that the financial industry compliance criteria was adhered to.
The success of the new platform was key, as it was to be used as the blueprint for expanding to an enterprise class deployment and providing a scalable platform to support a total of 4,500 users. Xtravirt evolved the pilot design to provide the ground work for the expansion, applying enterprise architecture leadership to the entire programme.
To ensure the success of the upgrade, Xtravirt deployed a technical delivery team, specialising in different aspects of the project, including; enterprise architecture solution design and deployment and migration support. High level and low level designs for the entire platform were delivered using vSphere, XenDesktop, XenApp, AppSense, ThinScale and NetScaler.
Xtravirt successfully delivered a new centralised, consolidated virtual compute platform, supporting 4,500 users. User profiles were developed to enable role based access and ensure a further security layer. The ageing estate was upgraded which ensured that the financial industry compliance criteria was met, and the latest technology enhancements could be taken advantage of.
It also resulted in the rationalisation of the customer’s application portfolio, and significant cost reductions for current and future software licences. The time to deliver new desktops was also reduced, allowing for centralised management, patching and updates to the environment. The solution designed and built by Xtravirt easily scales for expansion to meet the customers ever growing business needs.
The customer also recognised an improved working culture within the organisation, resulting from the new platform and newly adopted technologies, as well as a reduction in their physical office footprint due to the provision of remote working.
At a glance
- Upgrade of ageing windows estate
- Meet financial industry compliance criteria
- Minimise extended Windows XP support costs
- Provided technical architecture and governance
- Design and deployment of scalable platform to support 4,500 users
- Application of strategic single business unit design for enterprise upgrade
- Office 365 Skype platform to enable valued added services to be offered to customers
- New centralised, consolidated virtual desktop platform comprising of new Windows image
- Financial compliance obligations adhered to
- Future reduction in costs ensured resulting from new centralised environment
- Faster, cheaper and quicker future upgrades of desktop estate due to creation of base platform
- Improved working culture throughout the organisation